Monsters in Nursery! (Not real ones)

Friday 26th January | 10 comments
11

Well we have had a super, super busy week in Nursery – the main focus being organising ‘The Monster Café’. The children decided what they needed to do before the café opened today (Friday). They helped decide what was written on the letter to the grown-ups. The menu was created with what they wanted to bake and drinks they would serve; all the menus were decorated by the children. We then did some signs: the children could write directions on how to get to the café or simply tell everyone what they would be selling. We painted a café sign and lots of monsters to decorate our café. The biggest task of all was doing lots and lots of baking!!!! The children have made butterfly buns, chocolate buns, plain buns, gingerbread men and jam doughnuts. I think you will agree that’s a fantastic choice for afternoon tea. We have practised how to greet customers, how to fill out an order form and serve the food/drinks.

As well as the café organisation we also created a pop up opticians. Lots of children had their eyes tested. We also went on a quick trip to India. The children created their own passports – drawing their picture, writing their name and their age. We then checked in and boarded the plane. Seat belts fastened and we took off. Once in India we did some dancing and then tried some Indian snacks.

In our mathematics we continue to count up to 20 and back from 10. The children have sung number songs and counted cotton reels on to pipe cleaners. We are practising our pencil grip when we sign our names. When signing in the children can just write the first letter and gradually build this up. We have been retelling the story of the 3 Little Pigs and encouraging the children to join in with the repeated refrains – “Little Pig, Little Pig let me come in”.

Stay and read was busy this week. Lots of children sat and enjoyed listening to stories from all the grown-ups who came. Stay and Read sessions continue every Wednesday 8.45-9.15 or 12.30-1pm. Please feel free to come another day if your child doesn’t attend Nursery on a Wednesday or if it’s more convenient a different day.

Have a fantastic weekend

The Nursery team

P.S Monster Café photos to follow

10 responses to “Monsters in Nursery! (Not real ones)”

1. peterharris says:

I really enjoyed my drink and bun in the nursery Monster Cafe. Well done! I also read that you have been learning about the country of India: did you have curry for lunch last week? I did, and it was delicious. Coincidentally, the older children are all making curry this half term in their cooking lessons: perhaps you could go and visit them in the Studio one afternoon and see them mixing some curry spices?

2. Aylas mum says:

Ayla has talked non stop this week about the monster cafe. She was excited to bake and her dad said the butterfly bins were the best he has tasted in his life!!! Ayla loved her holiday to India. Her favourite bit was the plane ride. X

3. Natalie (Micah's mum) says:

Micah has been so excited for monster cafe, it’s all he talked about. He loved taking our order and going off to get it. I agree, the butterfly buns were gorgeous!
    The trip to India looks so exciting, I’m sure Micah will have enjoyed this as he loved planes!
    What a great week, thanks all.

4. Sheila singh (Vanshika mum) says:

Vanshika has had a busy week in nursery. She’s enjoyed baking for the monster cafe. She had lots to say and was excited for mummy to come and order some delicious cakes and tea. My chocolate bun was delicious. We had a lovely time, thank you!

5. Claire Brennan (Evie & Max's mum) says:

What a very busy and exciting week you have all had! Max bought me a chocolate butterfly bun home from the Monster Cafe and it was absolutely delicious!

6. Melanie says:

What a busy week! The buzz and excitement about hosting a cafe has been so lovely. Ralph has been super excited and what a great cafe! I loved it. Even the take away option was a real treat with the rest of the family later! Well done all.

7. Stephen Ward says:

I heard allllll about the monstet cafe!

8. Shaheen akhtar says:

Alizah has talked non stop about the monster cafe this week and told me all about her ride on the plane she told me she has really enjoyed this week at nursery

9. Ruth Fain says:

Monster café was big news in our house, with Isobel very excited to show me the work she and her friends had done. Ollie absolutely loved it. Buns on tap? – he can’t wait to start Nursery! Thank you so much for all the effort this week.

The passport and india trip was a highlight too – you guys are so busy!

10. Carolyn (Emily and Leah's mum) says:

Leah enjoyed the monster café and we both liked our visit to the café. The staff were great in the café and helped us make our choice.
    Sounds like a jam packed fun week.